Re: Various points re. URL syntax drafti

On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Larry Masinter wrote:

> Your suggestions are appreciated. However, it would be useful for you
> to supply more details.

I can in many cases supply more details. But where the changes
are extensive or might otherwise be disputed, I would like to
wait until the general direction is agreed upon.

> Please suggest what you'd like to see in the examples section
> instead. Since they were just examples meant to be evocative rather
> than proscriptive, I wouldn't want to go on at length.

Yes, I also wouldn't want to extend the list. But what about
an ftp example from Europe, a mail example from Canada, a
gopher example from Asia, or something similar?

> # Many people immediately associate this with MIME "charset", and I guess
> # they will be right. But others will be lost. Please add a reference.
>
> What is the right reference? There are many documents that define
> 'charset'. Again, the list of things that URLs don't depend on was not
> meant to be complete.

Ideally, this would be the new draft by Ned. But
that part of the draft might need some other work anyway.
Let's think about it later.

> # I will discuss other aspects of this paragraph in another mail.
> # The reference to "nationalities" should be dropped altogether,
> # unless somebody can show that there is a serious relation
> # between URLs and nationalities (would highly surprise me).
>
> Again, please suggest alternatives.

I hope you don't need any alternatives if I propose dropping something
completely :-). As for the rest, it's really following, hopefully today
if not tomorrow.

Regards,	Martin.