Re: Yet Another Attribute Parameter

Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it wrote:
> > There is a solution but it requires the use of the SRV record which is
> > not in widespread use yet....
> >

> Actually one of the things we are using here internally are URL's of the
> shape:
>
>                 srvq://some.f.q.d.n/opaque-string
>
> To signal that the URL lookup/obtaining is to use an SRV query to work
> out what protocol exist to obtain the resource. But to codify this
> indirection, whilst keeping in line with the URL spec was beyond my
> grasp of the subject as that spec seems very intent on one-step location;
> issues like chaching and normalizing/specific instantces in different
> protocols get really hairy.
>
> To be quite honest; the above really is a poor mans URN. So the UDP
> version of protocols might want to wait for URNs to be there :-)
> (Shameless plug this is :-)

Part of the problem with waiting on URNs is that a) I'm writing some of
the stuff that people are waiting on (;-) and b) I want to be able to
use application/directory  as a standard way of passing around some
N2Ls information as well as a very limited, directory services oriented
URC. Thus I need to put URLs in there that can have TCP or UDP
connection
styles.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Or should I leave it up to each
URL scheme to deal with UDP its own way?

-MM

Michael Mealling	| 505 Huntmar Park Drive       | Phone:  (703)742-0400
Software Engineer	| Herndon, VA 22070	       | Fax:    (703)742-9552
Network Solutions	| <URL:http://www.netsol.com>  | michaelm@rwhois.net