Stockholm Metadata BOF

URI Folk,

One dimension of the "Whither URI" debate is (for the time being)
rendered moot as illustrated by John Klensin's response to my request
for a slot for a Metadata BOF in Stockholm.

The justifications for rejection are reasonable points, though I was
surprised by the decision, given the support for the idea of a BOF by
Erik Huizer and others at Danvers.

Advancing resource description standards is at the top of the
networking agenda of the library community, and we will be pursuing
this agenda vigorously through a variety of means.  I expect that many
URI participants will want to be involved, and, as others have pointed
out, there are aspects of the metadata/URI issues that are inextricably
intertwined.

My original intention in promoting a BOF was to carry out design work
in small, invitational workshops and solicit refinements from a variety
of other sources, including an IETF WG.  Some of you are aware of the
OCLC/NCSA Metadata workshop held in March of this year (you can find a
link to the final report on my home page: http://www.oclc.org:5046/~weibel).

We will be planning the second workshop soon and welcome your thoughts
on the focus that this conference will take, as well as expressions of
interest in participation.

As John pointed out in a subsequent message, no reason not to hold a
Bar-BOF in Stockholm, as well, so if you're interested, send me a note.
(or just buy me a drink ;-)

stu