Re: new port for DNS

At  6:44 PM 6/21/95 -0700, Paul Hoffman wrote:

>Just for clarity, are you proposing a domain name system ending with
>".urn", such as "proper.urn"? If so, who would assign the second-level
>names? The InterNIC? And, if so, what about people outside the US who want
>names?

How about names like <assigned-domain>.<country-code>.urn, e.g.,
        resolver.oclc.us.urn
        urn.cren.us.urn
        urn-resolver.ncl.ac.uk.urn
in which assignment of the names within the country is handled by the same
authority that assigns other domains within that country?  (I can't decide
if I think the US part should keep its top-level domain in such addresses
or not, but that's not material to the issue, I think.)

Jim