Re: new port for DNS

Larry Masinter (
Thu, 22 Jun 1995 01:11:10 PDT

In-Reply-To:'s message of Wed, 21 Jun 1995 22:58:05 -0700 <>
Subject: Re: new port for DNS
From: Larry Masinter <>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 01:11:10 PDT

>The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that if URNs are to be as
>persistent as possible, that they should be numeric (or alphanumeric codes
>like the LoC numbers or British/Canadian postal code system).  If you use
>human-readable names like "proper" or "ibm" people will get emotional and/or
>possessive about them, making it much harder to prevent the URNs containing
>them from changing over time.

At the last URI meeting, it was suggested that adding a date stamp to
a DNS name might circumvent the impermanence of DNS names. The
granularity of the date stamp need not be small, e.g., just a year
might do, and certainly year/month.<ibm-document-id>

This would solve a variety of difficulties with potential reuse of