Re: Follow up on charter proposal

> Keith Moore writes:
>
> | The "URNs considered harmful" draft has a similar proposal, only
> | it uses the domain from a URL as the "naming authority" for the
> | DNS lookup.
>
> The approach you suggest appeals greatly, though I think it would be
> even nicer were there a way to get at least the catalog server's port
> number and protocol name into the RCS records... :-)

Actually, the RC server that we have written serves as both a catalog
server (for URNs/URLs) and a location information server (for LIFNs)
(there is a separate RPC call for each function).

If we can standardize on a single interface to a catalog server, life
becomes a lot simpler.  If we cannot standardize on this, it makes
sense to put the port number and protocol name in the RCS record.

Keith