Re: URN Resolution Paths Considered Harmful

   CC: liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu, uri@bunyip.com, FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com
   From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
   Sender: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
   Fake-Sender: masinter@parc.xerox.com
   Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 17:21:17 PDT

   Should someone be able to replicate a URN->URL service? I.e., is there
   a way to ask the URN->URL service: "What URNs do you resolve and what
   are their URLs?"

   Are there any privacy issues here?

Resolution services as with any other service should be able and
allowed to determine whether or not they will answer whatever queries
to whomever they choose.  Each one (or communities of them) will have
their own security and other access (for example fee structure)
policies that they manage by a variety of mechanisms.

I would not agree with a position that said that all resolution
services must be willing to make public all their information, or
provide service to all customers equally in any other way.

			Karen