Re: Globalizing URIs

Keith Moore (moore@cs.utk.edu)
Wed, 16 Aug 1995 10:17:31 -0400

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
To: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>
Cc: "Karen R. Sollins" <sollins@lcs.mit.edu>, conklin@info.cren.net,
Subject: Re: Globalizing URIs
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 10:17:31 -0400

> To the extent that the WWW is an organic entity, death is a part of life.
>
> Phew, I've been wanting to say that since I read "URN's considered
> harmful".

I like that statement too :)

> All this said, there *is* a role for universal names, and that is for
> common objects: IETF documents, government documents, Aesop fables, VRML
> teapots, etc.  Let's focus on that, rather than having a goal of "keeping
> links from breaking".

Yes, this is a good statement.  I'd say there are two goals:

a) allow people to make persistent references to documents when this
   is appropriate

b) for documents that aren't expected to be persistent, don't convey
   a false impression that they are.

That is, a user ought to be able to know whether a link is likely to
break before he puts it in his hotlist.

Keith