Re: DOCTYPE troubles when behind firewalls

Hello Bill,

Thanks for your feedback...

At 05:23 PM 11/1/00 +0000, Bill Haneman wrote:
>I am having troubles with the BE tests when running from behind
>a firewall with the crimson parser...
>
>It seems that crimson does not understand the ID in many/all of the
>BE tests, which is
>
>------------- Begin Included Message -------------
>
><!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 20000303 Stylable//EN" ^M
>
>"http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/03/WD-SVG-20000303/DTD/svg-20000303-stylable.dtd">^
>
>------------- End Included Message -------------
>
>In order to run behind a firewall I have to hack the doctype to
>something like
><!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 20000802//EN"
>   "http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-SVG-20000802/DTD/svg-20000802.dtd">

We always use the second form now.  In fact, after the next (pending)
public SVG spec release, we will update the test suite, and the DOCTYPES
will be identical to the 2nd form except for 20000802 changed to 2000mmdd
(mm and dd correctly designating the month and day of the document release).

As I'm sure you are aware, any BE tests with the 20000303 form and date
have been superseded and replaced by newer versions, with the 20000802 form
and date.  (I.e., 20000303 test versions should not be used now, unless you
have historical interest in the evolution of the SVG spec and test suite).

>I thought you'd like to know...

Yes, thanks.

>it would be nice if the DOCTYPE in the BE tests
>were one of those which crimson and xerces understood without trying to
>contact the w3c server, since it can be quite messy/tedious to set up the
>HTTP proxy for Java2...

Be on the lookout for announcement of a new public spec release, and
probably not long thereafter, a new public release of the test suite.  If
there are still any problems, please let us know.

Regards,
Lofton

Lofton Henderson
1919 Fourteenth St., #604