Re: Upcoming changes for W3C reports and our /TR pages

On 08/04/2017 02:29 PM, Philippe Le Hégaret wrote:

> 1/ To ensure that readers get pointed towards what the Group believes to be most relevant, we're introducing a convention for
> Latest Versions links for leveled specifications [2][3].

This seems overall pretty good to me. :)

> 2/ To point search engines to the most relevant document, we're going to use rel=canonical in specs [4][5]
>
> We are going to make that link as a requirement in the technical reports starting from 1 October 2017. Dom already pushed that
> change to respec and bikeshed so by default, if you are using one of these tools, there's nothing to do. For the specs
> published before that date, we will add that link via a HTTP header.

+1

> 3/ To encourage readers not to look at outdated documents, we will add a required
> JS for deprecation [6][7]
>
> One big issue we currently have with /TR is to know whether the document
> being read is obsolete or not. For historical reasons, we need to keep
> old versions of the specifications around but it's important to mark the
> outdated documents as such or at least make them easily recognizable.
> Since it would be too tedious to edit a document after a new dated version is published, we are thinking about adding a script
> that will take care of this if the document is to be marked as outdated.
> Here are some mockups:
>       https://w3c.github.io/tr-pages/outdatedspecsmockup/html4/
>       https://w3c.github.io/tr-pages/outdatedspecsmockup/html-aria/
>
> Some exceptions will be allowed so for specific use cases, the deprecation note can be skipped.
>
> You can find the deprecation workflow at
>     https://w3c.github.io/tr-pages/deprecation.svg
>
> We are planning to make that JS link a requirement in the specs starting from 1 October 2017.

This needs some work, specifically:
   The CSS needs changes to ensure it works for print.
   Probably the easiest thing is to inline it into the front page somewhere
   (rather than trying to have it print on every page*)
   and giving it a red *border* (replacing the padding that's already there)
   because backgrounds don't print by default.

* fixed positioning is broken for paged media, this is a known major design flaw in CSS2 :(

Thanks for working on this~
~fantasai