Re: New TR design in 2017?

On 11/22/2016 11:04 AM, Tobie Langel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First, thanks so much to Fantasai whose work really helped improve the
> UX of using specs this past year. <3
>
> Secondly though, and sorry for ranting, but W3C is a standard org whose
> main output is specs. That it relies on volunteering from members and IE
> to improve the design of its specs is baffling. Making specs as easy to
> consume as possible should be paramount.
>
> I'd like to see W3C put more resources in areas that actually matter to
> itself, its community and the Web at large. If the UX of consuming its
> specs isn't one of those, then what is?

Right now, we have multiple things on our list: /TR pages (in progress),
/TR versioning (in progress), old drafts on /TR (aka SEO issue, no
progress), support for FPWD/CR in Echidna (won't happen for Q2 2017 at
least), documentation improvements everywhere (especially /Guide),
support for Process 2017 (needs to happen in Q1 2017). In terms of
systeam, my list contains things like better GitHub/W3C integration
(account, mirroring), ash-nazg enhancements, better office like tooling
(aka the google docs issue). I also need to provide a better management
of W3C TR milestones as part of the reorganization. Now, if the only
change we make in 2017 is your scroll proposal, that's something that
can be relatively easily handle by ourselves. However, thanks to
Fantasai, we just did a new design a few months ago so doing a new major
one is nowhere close to the top of my list at the moment.

In addition, the W3C team has failed to update on /TR design for years
and this new /TR design process was designed to prevent that from
happening again. I'm a big believer in enabling the W3C community to
change W3C itself. That's why I push things off the internal W3C
repository into GitHub whenever I get the chance.

Lastly, as strangely as it might sound, I'm far from convinced the W3C
team is the best at Web design (starting with myself :). I'd rather give
a chance to someone who is better at it.

Philippe