Re: bikeshed: Unknown Status 'ED' used ?!@#$

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Hodges, Jeff <jeff.hodges@paypal.com> wrote:
> somewhat all of a sudden, the cloud-hosted bikeshed claims:   Unknown
> Status 'ED' used
>
> here's the details..
>
>> curl https://api.csswg.org/bikeshed/ -F file=@index.bs -F force=1 -F
>>output=err > errors.txt ; ls -l errors*
>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
> Current
>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
> Speed
> 100  116k    0   162  100  116k    222   160k --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
> 160k
> -rw-r--r--  1 jehodges  110028724  162 Aug 17 15:22 errors.txt
>

>> cat errors.txt
> Error running preprocessor, returned code: 1.
> \033[1;31mFATAL ERROR:\033[0m Unknown Status 'ED' used.
> \033[7;31m ✘ \033[0m Did not generate, due to fatal errors
>
> The metadata section in this index.bs begins with..
>
>   <pre class='metadata'>
>    Title: Web Authentication: An API for accessing Scoped Credentials
>   </pre>
>

> This is a bug, yes?

Kinda sorta, but mostly WAI.  I've begun namespacing the statuses
based on "supergroup" - W3C groups have access to the W3C document
statuses, ISO groups have access to the ISO statuses, etc.  This
avoids collisions between independent groups.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet added a good way to let Bikeshed know
that you're a W3C group, besides me adding your group to the list
manually.  Happy to do so - what's your Group?

>  'ED' is used as a value for Status in the example on..
> https://github.com/tabatkins/bikeshed/blob/master/docs/metadata.md
>
> That page also says that documenting the allowed values for Status is a
> "TODO" -- what's the status of that?

Still TODO, because the list is long and I need to rejigger how I do
my documentation.

> I also note that playing around with the leading whitespace of the lines
> within the <pre class='metadata'> section yields different error msgs,
> sigh.

Yes, metadata can't have leading whitespace. If you do so, it triggers
the "continuation line" feature, where you can spread a multi-line
value over multiple lines without having to repeat the metadata name
again.

This isn't explained well - thanks for pointing out the documentation bug!

> was the bikeshed impl behind https://api.csswg.org/bikeshed/ recently
> updated?  I wasn't having this issue with this index.bs file back in June.

Yes, it updates within a few minutes of me pushing changes to the
repository.  This change definitely occurred more recently than June.

~TJ