RE: ReSpec and how it gets used

On 7 Jun 2016 at 17:40, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 7:40 PM, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:
>> On June 5, 2016 at 10:15:12 PM, Markus Lanthaler
>> (markus.lanthaler@gmx.net) wrote:
>>> We, the Hydra W3C Community Group also have dynamic Respec documents.
>>> Recently I more often got reports that those documents don't render
>>> properly for some users. The last one I heard was that a fully patched
>>> IE11 can't render them.. I haven't verified that yet though.
>>
>> IE11 is not supported by ReSpec's generation mode, unfortunately (that

Bummer

>> browser is over 2 years old now, and has been superseded by Edge).
>> Either kindly ask your users to switch to Edge

Well, that might be tricky for lots of users as it also requires an OS update.

>> or use a more modern browser ... alternatively, please publish the
>> ReSpec output instead, which should work on any browser going
>> back to IE6.

I'm not going to ask to start supporting IE11 again but what browser support do you aim for? Only the absolute latest version? IE11 still seems to have a considerable market share...

> As a reader of ReSpec'd specs, I'd highly appreciate it if more people
> published the generated output instead of the sources.  It avoids the
> flash-of-unprocessed-content and subsequent anchor-jumping, and it
> works better in the tooling infrastructure.

The thing I like most about ReSpec is that it doesn't need any "compilation" step. It's not perfect but for most use cases it works well enough.

--
Markus Lanthaler
@markuslanthaler