Re: Stylesheet Ordering Requirement

One other thought on this topic:

I wonder if this issue is a side effect of adding more rules in the base
style sheet. Having more rules has the nice effect that we can factorize
and reuse a lot more. It provides an off-the-shelf set of rules. etc. I
haven't heard anyone complaining about the increase of rules in the base
style sheet.

But, it also means that the pubrules requirement is increasing, ie we're
making it hard to change rules around table layout, pre, code, nav,
ol.algorithm, example, etc. Those things were never intended to be the
target of the pubrules checker.

In other words, from the perspective of pubrules, there is a set of
rules that we care in the base style sheet while there is a set that we
don't mind if the authors start modifying them. Since we've been
increasing the second set, the rule is getting more in the way.

Is that correct?

Philippe