Re: Introducing W3C's JavaScript repository

On 28/07/15 Tobie wrote:
> What's your plan for versioning if any?

We encourage people to link to the "latest patch" shortcuts, eg
     //www.w3.org/scripts/angularjs/1.3/*
instead of
     //www.w3.org/scripts/angularjs/1.3.16/*

We will upload security patches, and update "latest patch" symlinks to
point to those.

About different "major" and "minor" numbers, we'll try to stay
reasonably up to date. But we don't intend to follow development of all
these projects very closely, except when they bring significant
improvements, or if there are requests from users. Worst case scenario:
one really needs version X of Y, but the team doesn't consider it useful
or popular enough → he/she can upload their own files, as we used to do
until today. We are not saying this will evolve into a strong constraint
in the long term, ie banning all custom JS from the site. We are not
saying it won't, either :)

> That seems like an excessive upfront concern that won't actually solve
> the problem (if there is one). What's to stop me from curling for lib
> names until I hit a 200 OK?
> You could also filter out requests using the HTTP_REFERER header if
> hot-linking really becomes a problem.

We realise that "hiding" the index does not solve the hypothetical
problem of too many people linking to those files. We discussed several
options, ranging from paranoid to naïve. This was a simple compromise to
get started. Filtering headers was considered too, and we may still do
that. Thanks for the reminder!

Anyway, let me correct myself: it isn't as restrictive as I said before:

On 28/07/15 Antonio wrote:
> This index page, on the other hand, we decided to keep staff-only for now

It's visible also to anyone with a W3C account (not only staff).

On 28/07/15 Tobie wrote:
> This seems to be staff only. Suggest either opening it up or avoiding to
> mail public mailings lists about this.

I'm sorry about that. I sent this to several lists, and didn't realise
part of this wouldn't be publicly readable...

--
Antonio Olmo Titos
   web developer, W3C