From:   James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
To:     Steve Faulkner <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>,
Cc:     Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>, spec-prod@w3.org
Date:   03/13/2015 02:42 AM
Subject:        Re: Using <h2> as subtitle in W3C specifications

Works for me.

<sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com> wrote:

> The pattern advocated in HTML5 is
>
> <header>
>   <h1>HTML 5.1 Nightly</h1>
> </header>
>
> The paragraphs along with the heading are grouped/associated by the
header element

> Steve Faulkner
> TPG Distinguished Accessibility Engineer
> -
> Co-editor HTML 5.1

indicate the sub-level status semantically. A <p> outside the heading does
not do that. Some suggestions.

> 1. <small> inside heading.
>   <h1>Heading <small>Sub-heading</small></h1>
>
> 2. Even <div> inside heading, possibly with a role. (less semantic than
h1>small, but still better than h1+p)
>   <h1>Heading <div>Sub-heading</div></h1>
>
> Should we consider adding an ARIA role for "subheading"?
>
> James
>

>> On Mar 12, 2015, at 6:56 AM, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> it is the current practice in W3C specifications to use an <h2> element
for a specification's subtitle (either the actual subtitle, or the "W3C
$SPEC_STATUS $DATE" part.

>> It so happens that this is a practice which is frowned upon by the HTML
specification:

>>   "h1–h6 elements must not be used to markup subheadings, subtitles,
>>    alternative titles and taglines unless intended to be the heading
>>    for a new section or subsection."
>>   -- http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/common-idioms.html#sub-head

>> The suggested fix would be to transition to using a <p> element with a
specific class. This is what HTML5 used to do (because it had special
dispensation to break stuff) but that won't be possible with the new
automatic publishing system. Also, it's nicer to follow our own
suggestions in general.

>> If this is agreed upon, we'll have a transition period so that everyone
has time to make this small change.