Re: [restyle] Questionnaire wrt Redesign of the W3C Spec Templates

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 12:53 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> I think my top request would be to make on-line reading the norm and a
> printed version works/exists, but is secondary.  At the moment, I would say
> we’re styled more for printing than online reading.

I would say rather that it would be nice if eReading were the norm.  It
might not be "on-line".  But if the specifications were able to be readily
read on my computer / tablet with all that implies, it would be a big
improvement.  I agree that we also need to continue to serve the (large but
decreasing) community that wants to print it out.

> For a spec. of any size, I think we could do much better at providing
> (automatically) navigation help etc.  Perhaps that includes the
> multi-page/one-page choices.  For me it also includes (a) knowing where
> anchors are, so I can point at them from the outside (if they are not part
> of the index, it’s not evident they are there).

We are looking at this in the ReSpec arena now in the context of cross
referencing.  ReSpec / specref and Bikeshed / Shepherd sort of deal with
it, but we need to get better at it.  Right now ReSpec does support
links for referencing (at the section / header level).

> Something that is probably more than ReSpec and is surely more than
> styling would be to make it much easier to know where concepts are used —
> ‘backlinks’ (this anchor is referred to from X, Y, Z), and so on.

We are able to do this now in theory.  How would you envision such
information manifesting itself?  tooltip? context menu?  Auto-generated
glossary with links to where the items are referenced?