Re: Thinking about cross references and ReSpec

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:24 AM, Tobie Langel <tobie.langel@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:15 AM, Tobie Langel <tobie.langel@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 1:49 PM, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> As an aside, I note that the SpecRef lookup (in ReSpec biblio.js) uses
>>>>

>>> The effective limit is around 2000 chars[1] which should give us over a
>>> hundred references. Let's think about fixing it when we cross it, no?
>>>

>> If you insist.  Is the service not able to handle POST requests?
>>

> Not sure (think I probably purposefully limited it to GET when building
> the service, but that's easy to change).
>
> I only mentioned it because if we are integrating definition cross
>> reference lookups, we could easily overflow the limit.
>>

> That would probably be two different end-points, no?

Probably.  I don't know what you had in mind for design.  I expect it is a
different XHR call - no need to conflate them as they are in very different
portions of the ReSpec implementation.

On the other hand, if we wanted to limit the number of XHR round trips, we
could delay the resolving of definition references until late in processing
- make a single call, get the bibliographic AND definition cross reference
links in a single call, then make the updates to the document.  That might
be bad, unmodular design, but it might speed up processing for large
documents.

In any event, I will leave it alone for now.