Re: Some thoughts on a new publication approach

On Monday, October 21, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> On 21/10/2013 18:10 , Marcos Caceres wrote:
> > The bit missing here is that we need to treat each step in the
> > publication process as a "phase". During certain phases (e.g., LC),
> > editors are not allowed to do certain things that would violate the
> > PP. This could be controlled by only giving Editors the ability to
> > pull from repos - all changes come in the form of Pull Requests and
> > must then be checked by the team contact or chair as integrators.
> > This stops the "but what if they sneak something in" nonsense that
> > requires the snapshot model.
>

> I think that that complicates things more than we actually need. When
> entering LC, you produce a snapshot that is the LC draft and will never
> change, ever.

Fine, so long as this document is hidden away somewhere where only lawyers can get to it. I.e., lets get the LC nonsense off TR.
> This triggers the LC exclusion period. Then the editor
> keeps editing as she wants to.

That's fine so long as this still appears on TR, right?
> At the next transition (currently CR, but
> that could change too) we check to see what changes were made. If they
> are only editorial, then the transition can proceed. Otherwise, a new LC
> snapshot needs to be triggered (which I believe pushes the potential Rec
> off by 150 days).

Exactly. What I was trying to point out was that right now, LC docs and friends sit on /TR/ and ruin it for everyone else. Having things as a "phase" indicates to the reader some degree of maturity and what changes to expect during this period (and that the document is live). Maybe a link at the very bottom of the document to the "Lawyer Call" document can be added in <small> :)
> No need for phases or special roles for people, let alone pull requests
> (more of a GitHub concept, though it can be made to work elsewhere).

Sure. Though no need to follow my exact process (or bind it to GH) - but the process of having someone oversee the IPR critical phases stands.

--
Marcos Caceres