From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@textuality.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:30 PM
To: Ian Jacobs
Cc: shane@aptest.com; Robin Berjon; Tab Atkins, Jr.; spec-prod@w3.org Prod; Dom Hazael-Massieux
Subject: Re: ReSpec and https

Because on the Web everything should be private by default: https://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2012/12/02/HTTPS

https: is the correct default choice.  Have you measured the performance impact recently?  It’s generally insignificant compared to all other things that slow down the Web experience.  -T

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org<mailto:ij@w3.org>> wrote:

On Aug 14, 2013, at 10:35 AM, Shane McCarron <ahby@aptest.com<mailto:ahby@aptest.com>> wrote:

> You are correct.  Pub rules. I will file a bug with them and just hand edit it out in the meantime.

I disagree this is a pubrules bug. Why use https URIs to refer to these images from TR drafts served over http?
Using https URIs has a performance impact both for the server and on the client.

Dom mentioned to me that editors drafts could be handled differently than TR-ready drafts, and that respec might
be improved to generate http uris when the document is ready for publication. Pubrules currently does not have
an editor's draft filter.

Ian

> On Aug 14, 2013 10:30 AM, "Robin Berjon" <robin@w3.org<mailto:robin@w3.org>> wrote:
> On 14/08/2013 17:04 , Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Shane McCarron <ahby@aptest.com<mailto:ahby@aptest.com>> wrote:
> I noticed today that ReSpec generates https:// for the W3C logo and
> stylesheet.  Is there a reason for this?  The W3C validator complains about
> it.
>
> Likely so you don't get mixed content warnings when viewing things on
> https pages (like the dvcs repo).
>
> Precisely. We tried the option of being smart based on where the draft was generated, but generated drafts get moved around and things break. We tried using // instead but too many people do things like checking drafts from the local file system and got confused (or even just an unpleasant experience).
>
> I doubt the W3C validator complains about this; I presume Shane meant pubrules. That's a bug in pubrules :)
>
> --

Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org<mailto:ij@w3.org>>      http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs

Tel:                                          +1 718 260 9447<tel:%2B1%20718%20260%209447>