Re: ReSpec and https

On Aug 14, 2013, at 11:30 AM, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:

> Because on the Web everything should be private by default: https://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2012/12/02/HTTPS

We should make a considered decision whether we want w3.org to be private by default or not. That's a good discussion to have,
but for the moment, I don't see a good reason to make one or two highly public resources private by default.

> https: is the correct default choice.  Have you measured the performance impact recently?  It’s generally insignificant compared to all other things that slow down the Web experience.  -T

Thanks for the point to your blog post, Tim!

Ian

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org> wrote:
>
> On Aug 14, 2013, at 10:35 AM, Shane McCarron <ahby@aptest.com> wrote:
>
> > You are correct.  Pub rules. I will file a bug with them and just hand edit it out in the meantime.
>
> I disagree this is a pubrules bug. Why use https URIs to refer to these images from TR drafts served over http?
> Using https URIs has a performance impact both for the server and on the client.
>
> Dom mentioned to me that editors drafts could be handled differently than TR-ready drafts, and that respec might
> be improved to generate http uris when the document is ready for publication. Pubrules currently does not have
> an editor's draft filter.
>
> Ian
>

> > On Aug 14, 2013 10:30 AM, "Robin Berjon" <robin@w3.org> wrote:
> > On 14/08/2013 17:04 , Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Shane McCarron <ahby@aptest.com> wrote:
> > I noticed today that ReSpec generates https:// for the W3C logo and
> > stylesheet.  Is there a reason for this?  The W3C validator complains about
> > it.
> >
> > Likely so you don't get mixed content warnings when viewing things on
> > https pages (like the dvcs repo).
> >
> > Precisely. We tried the option of being smart based on where the draft was generated, but generated drafts get moved around and things break. We tried using // instead but too many people do things like checking drafts from the local file system and got confused (or even just an unpleasant experience).
> >
> > I doubt the W3C validator complains about this; I presume Shane meant pubrules. That's a bug in pubrules :)
> >
> > --
> > Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/ - @robinberjon
>
> --
> Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>      http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
> Tel:                                          +1 718 260 9447

Tel:                                          +1 718 260 9447