Re: Editor's drafts on /TR/… ftw, was Re: new TR tools and editor's drafts?

"No amount of software will solve a process problem"

I know it is narcissistic to quote myself, but I said that about something
at the W3C in like... the mid 90's.

Minimal pubrules could mean the current pubrules checks but that it knows a
WD push can ignore much of it.  Link checking for example I really
apprecate.

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:

> On 03/07/2013 15:07 , Shane McCarron wrote:
>
>> I agree with much of this.  However, I would not like to see working
>> groups be able to update documents in the final states of the process
>> (e.g., CR, PR, REC, PER) without staff review and approval.  Those are
>> the lawyer documents, and W3C has liability and responsibility.
>>

> Certainly, and the steps above also include FPWD (since that's a very
> fundamental trigger in the patent policy). In any case, doing anything else
> for the above would involve changing the Process, which is pretty much what
> I'm hearing everyone says we shouldn't do. We're essentially talking about
> WD updates.
>
> Ideally, pressing the button would:
>
> • Pull a given commit from a git repo.
> • Run the generation tool if it's one of the supported ones (otherwise you
> provide HTML).
> • Run some minimal pubrules (HTML validity and checking that some basic
> elements of the headers are correct — nothing more). Reject if fails.
> • Publish.
>
> To be fair though, in the past few years (before joining the Team) I've
> never had to wait more than 24h before releasing a WD. DAP had its calls on
> Wednesday afternoons Paris time, and we always made the Thursday
> publication window. Beyond the advantages in simplicity in letting groups
> push WDs out by themselves (if nothing else it would free up time for the
> webmaster to do more interesting things), it might be useful to figure out
> why some groups seem to need much more time than that. Not knowing those
> problems, it's a definite possibility that they won't go away if we add
> automation.
>
> --

Shane P. McCarron