Re: Please don't shout or throw things at this respec newbie

Robin Berjon writes:

> [Detailed if depressing analysis]

> Note that this does *not* prevent you from creating your documents as
> XHTML, editing them with XML tools, etc. It's only a problem if they
> then get served as such. Is that an issue?

But, as you put it in the intro to the doc't, being able to see what
you've done simply by refreshing the browser is the whole point.
Works with xml+xmlspec+XSLT-in-the-browser, works with respec+HTML5,
. . .  Oh well.

> If it is a problem, I can try to dig to see if there's a workaround
> for you. But I won't ever be able to make it work across the board,
> only perhaps (and it's a big perhaps) for the basic features that
> you're currently using. As far as I can tell at this point it would
> involve patching jQuery to notice that it's being used in XHTML, or at
> least do something that mucks with its internals.

Don't waste your otherwise more profitably employed time -- the
workaround of just using 'unofficial' in the XML and changing it to
'ED' when I publish off my private machine will do just fine, I
expect.

It does intrigue me to try to understand _why_ PHP-style coding is so
attractive that we do it even when good structure-based alternatives
are right there in the API, especially given that string bashing to
build structure is
 a) fragile;
 b) hard to read;
 c) hard to debug;