Re: CC license on figures in specs?

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:44:37 -0400
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: spec-prod@w3.org
On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 13:55 -0800, fantasai wrote:
> On 12/15/2011 08:35 AM, Ian Jacobs wrote:
> >
> > On 15 Dec 2011, at 10:27 AM, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> >
> >> Anybody ever put e.g. a CC 3.0 Sharealike with citation license on one
> >> or more figures in a W3C Rec.?  Any reason not to?
> >
> > Hi Henry,
> >
> > I believe that would conflict with the Document License.
>
> Indeed. Which brings up an issue: we might want to make an update to the
> Document License saying that examples and figures are in the public domain.
> Example code, especially. The point is to allow them as a starting point
> for reuse. :)

I would note that this problem is ancient and the DOM Working Group
resolved it as follows in the DOM specifications:
 http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Core/copyright-notice.html

In others words, we were explicit to indicate the DOM bindings were not
under the Document License but the software license instead.

Philippe