Re: Shared references service

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 15:39:20 -0700
Cc: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, spec-prod Prod <spec-prod@w3.org>
To: Eliot Graff <Eliot.Graff@microsoft.com>
Hi Eliot,

On Jun 22, 2012, at 08:18 , Eliot Graff wrote:
> Thanks for this (he said, delighting in the consistency that we now have).

:)

> From a functional perspective, are there any changes for the way that an editor would use the references in a spec, or does ReSpec continue inserting references using the same format-- [[!ECMA-262]] for example--merely drawing from a different source?

I haven't deployed this in ReSpec yet, neither has Anolis, but the idea is that there will be no change whatsoever to how you author documents, and existing documents will just keep on working without a hitch. So no worries on this end.

Things that will change on the ReSpec end once that change is folded in are:

 it will become a *lot* faster to load (the current system ships the refs DB with the code, and that accounts for over 60% of its size);
 insertion of the references will be asynchronous, so don't be surprised if the split second that follows the document looking all loaded they aren't there.