respec.js in IETF and W3C

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 19:51:21 -0700
To: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com>, "Bjoern Hoehrmann (derhoermi@gmx.net)" <derhoermi@gmx.net>
CC: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, "rfc-interest@rfc-editor.org" <rfc-interest@rfc-editor.org>, "spec-prod@w3.org" <spec-prod@w3.org>, "Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr@cisco.com)" <jhildebr@cisco.com>
In particular, "respec" wasn't written by or managed by W3C staff.

And I don't think either group is considering making the interim tooling (such as respect in W3C or xml2rfc in IETF) as mandatory-to-use tools, but rather standardizing on a (new) format standard, but insuring there is current tooling to support easy production of documents in that format.