Re: Capitalization Wars

On Dec 20, 2011, at 04:08 , fantasai wrote:
> I have an issue filed on one of my specs for inconsistent capitalization, so I
> thought I'd post here and see whether there was any consensus on the correct
> capitalization rules. :) :)
>
> Pubrules is no help because it requires one style for "Status of this document"
> and a different style for "Table of Contents". (Yay!)
>
> Options under consideration:
>
>  A. Titlecase Like This and This
>  B. Sentencecase like this and this
>  C. Titlecase for Top-Level Sections (<h2>), Sentencecase for lower-level sections
>
> Thoughts?

I don't think that you can reach consensus on this, it's too much of the bikeshed and people will have violent preferences. The only rule I've ever heard for this sort of thing that has made sense to me was from A-level creative writing classes and it was: pick whichever one and stick to it. It's like the en-US thing — I don't think we need a rule, but it does help readability if editors are consistent inside of a given document.