Re: CC license on figures in specs?

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:56:15 +0000
To: spec-prod@w3.org

On Friday, December 16, 2011 at 7:54 AM, fantasai wrote:

> No, we really *don't* want to require attribution for people to take
> our code examples and use them. That's silly. Wrt Public Domain's legal
> status, this is what CC0 is for.

A good way around the problem is to do what DOM4, Widgets, and other specs are doing: Make the Editor's draft be in the public domain so text, figs, etc. can be used freely by anyone. See, for example:

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html

That way, the W3C can still have the copyright over its /TR/ specs, but everyone else can just use the Editor's Draft text freely and happily.