Re: CC license on figures in specs?

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 22:59:49 -0500
To: spec-prod@w3.org
On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 14:00 -0800, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> > [...] we might want to make an update to the
> > Document License saying that examples and figures are in the public domain.
[...]
> I extra-agree with this.  I specifically try to write examples that
> show (relatively simple) real-world uses of the feature, and being
> able to legally copy-paste those examples is a good thing.

Being able to reuse the examples, and to make derivative works, is good.

Note that (as Tab I think mentioned in another post) the Public Domain
is not a concept shared by all legal systems. For example, I cannot,
strictly speaking, create works "in the public domain" here in Canada:
certain rights are inalienable here. However, I can say that anyone who
wishes may reuse my works, provided that attribution is given.

So CC may be a better route to essentially the same goal.

Best,

Liam