Re: References Re: What are the requirements/problems? Re: Working on New Styles for W3C Specifications

Marcos,

It is not always the case that the "latest published version" of a
referenced document is intended.  There are situations in which a
specific, dated reference is required, because the document
containing the references was written with respect to a specific,
dated version of some referenced document.  Furthermore, the editors
of documents sometimes change from publication to publication,
although that is perhaps relevant only if specific, dated versions
are required.

Hope this helps,
    Jim

At 12/14/2011 01:10 PM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
>On Wednesday, December 14, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Bert Bos wrote:
> >
> > How about this:
> >
> > https://www.w3.org/Style/Group/css3-src/biblio.xml
>Now we are cooking!
>
>Only problem, for me, is that the references point to the dates
>version of specs. Preferably, they should point to the latest
>published version.
>
>So, instead of:
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-2dcontext-20110525/
>
>What should be there is:
>http://www.w3.org/TR/2dcontext/
>
>The use case are:
>   1. avoiding pointing to a stale version (and if your document
> goes stale, the references don't!).
>   2. Matching on the short name as an id (in case I don't want to
> use your ID system, which is the <label> element).
>
>Also, what would be great is to include the Editor's draft, if one
>is available.

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
   Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC32 and W3C XML Query WG    Fax : +1.801.942.3345
Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive      Alternate email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA  Personal email: SheltieJim at xmission dot com
=  Facts are facts.   But any opinions expressed are the opinions      =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =