Re: References Re: What are the requirements/problems? Re: Working on New Styles for W3C Specifications

On 12/14/2011 4:16 PM, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> I actually disagree. If 20120315 is a REC anyway. There are LOTS of
> specs that need to reference a specific version of another spec. Look
> at XHTML Modularization, for example. It references XML 1.0 Fourth
> Edition even though there are later editions available. There were
> important technical reasons for this.
>
> Are you saying that to implement XHTML Modularization I have to support whatever bugs are in XML Fourth Edition (forever), and I need to have a separate implementation of XML Fifth Edition (which does not interact with XHTML) for other XML documents? And that I can't ever update my XML Parser to XML.Next to be used with XHTML Modularization because XHTML forces me to implement Forth Edition?

Yes.  That's exactly what I am saying.  In this case, XML Fifth Edition
incorporated changes to the definition of NCNAME (or something) that
would have broken faith with languages built atop XHTML M12N.  And it is
totally possible to write an XML processor / parser that supports fourth
edition and later constraints, if you want.

--
Shane McCarron
+1 763 786 8160 x120