Re: References Re: What are the requirements/problems? Re: Working on New Styles for W3C Specifications

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:08:46 +0100
Cc: ""Martin J. Dürst"" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, "chairs@w3.org" <chairs@w3.org>, "spec-prod@w3.org" <spec-prod@w3.org>
To: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
On Dec 14, 2011, at 02:04 , Marcos Caceres wrote:
>> Not everybody thinks the same way. And some
>> (bravo to Robin) are actually ready to do a bit of work to get the
>> format they prefer.
>
> It shouldn't really be necessary, IMO. As shown by Robin's effort, it just ended up falling out of date.

That's not true, the only thing that makes it out of date is because it's a prototype and isn't used. The bibliographic database used in ReSpec is by and large up to date (or up to date enough) because people update references for everyone when they see ones that are outdated for them. We'd get the same (in fact probably more of it) if instead of a painful monolithic JSON file we had a web interface.