Re: References Re: What are the requirements/problems? Re: Working on New Styles for W3C Specifications

On Thursday, 1 December 2011 at 19:44, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 18:19:27 +0100, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com (mailto:w3c@marcosc.com)> wrote:
>
> > 4. Do we really still need a bibliography when we use hypertext and in
> > the age of living standards?
> >

> Yep.
>
> > How do people actually use bibliographies in the age of HTML (i.e., do
> > people care when something was published, who published it, etc. andwhy
> > or why not?)?
> >

> Its primary use is in printed versions, with a strong secondary use in
> documents about the spec. In both those cases there is still quite a lot
> of usage of the kinds of information you mentioned. Given that it is
> common to refer to a document by a title and someone who put the words
> there, the author or editor's name(s) are important in many cases,
> although it would work to say that a document was produced by "W3C's
> WigwamForAGossesBridle Working Group" - or even "W3C" for documents which
> are published with consensus.
>

> > Can't we just do away with bibliographies and just cross link to
> > specifications.
> >

> Not in a printed version,
I still would like to see what this means. In practice, trying to "use" a printed spec is hard (it's not really searchable, and you can't really find what terms means because they are defined throughout a specification).
> and since printing from the web is still a bit
> arcane that probably means we need it in the standard published version.
> Since we MUST have it for when people print,

It would be good to know how often that happens too (and why?). Anyone that has worked with me knows I print all specs like crazy and can't read long documents from screen. However, I only print specs to review them with a red pen… not to work from (specs I use every day are bookmarked for easy access).
> we don't get to save much
> work by cutting it out of online versions.

I agree, particularly with everything Julian said in responding to this thread. I think the right thing to do is to do both: include references separated by normative and informative, but I still don't see any use case for including the author, date, or organization that produced the document.