Re: What are the requirements/problems? Re: Working on New Styles for W3C Specifications

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 18:33:18 +0100
To: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
CC: "chairs@w3.org" <chairs@w3.org>, "spec-prod@w3.org" <spec-prod@w3.org>
On 2011-12-01 18:19, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> 4. Do we really still need a bibliography when we use hypertext and in the age of living standards? How do people actually use bibliographies in the age of HTML (i.e., do people care when something was published, who published it, etc. and why or why not?)? Can't we just do away with bibliographies and just cross link to specifications.

Thoughts on this one:

- proper hyperlinking to external resources: good. Bonus points for
linking to a concrete section (as opposed to what HTML5 does, for example)

- ...which implies: make it easy to link *to* the element; use section
anchors that are as stable as they can be made

- bibliography is still needed, so that a reader can get a quick
overview over dependencies, and how mature they are. the IETF groups
into normative and non-normative, and I think that's really useful.

Best regards, Julian