Re: Use of <a name="xxx" id="xxx"> in text/html specs

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 13:36:14 +0100
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Cc: "spec-prod@w3.org Prod" <spec-prod@w3.org>
On 03/10/2011 13:29, Robin Berjon wrote:
> Notably, I'm not sure what the value of<h1><a id='foo'/>Foo</h1>  is over<h1 id='foo'>Foo</h1>

Netscape 3 support perhaps (which is why it uses <a name=xx id=xxx> in
case id isn't supported...

 >  (or perhaps even more semantically: with the id on the
containing<div>) is,

For headings it would be fairly easy to change the stylesheets to do
that, more problematic is xmlspec's support of inline definitions where
you can mark a phrase appearing inline mid-paragraph as a definition so
it gets an empty <a id="xxx> to which you can link elsewhere in the
document.

David