Re: Publication of specifications as HTML5

On Fri, 2011-08-19 at 09:21 -0400, Karl Dubost wrote:

> What I have not seen on the discussion thread yet (and that I would like to see) is
> What are the current *tools* requirements for processing/hosting a document on W3C space?
> With these requirements, *we* (the community altogether) can decide what is usable or not.

Seems to me a requirement should be that the format issuitable for
archiving.  This means that the document indicates to exactly which
version of which specification(s) it conforms, and actually does
conform.

Without a formal public identifier in the doctype declaration, or a
version attribute on the HTML element, I don't personally consider it
acceptable to use HTML 5 in a situation in which long term archiving is
expected.

Even with such version indication, HTML 5 must obviously not be used in
archived contexts until it is a stable specification - in W3C terms that
means a Recommendation.

Liam