Re: Publication of specifications as HTML5

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Leif Halvard Silli
> Can't see that this rules out 'application/xhtml+xml' - on the contrary.

I'm not ruling anything out.  All I'm saying is it should be fine for
W3C specifications to be non-well-formed HTML5, served as text/html.
If some editors or Working Groups want their specifications to be in
other formats, that's fine too, as long as they're some type of
standard(s-track) HTML and can be processed by a sufficiently broad
range of user agents.  If the SVG WG were to decide that they want to
include inline SVG in examples in their spec and serve it as
application/xhtml+xml or text/html depending on UA to get the broadest
possible support, I think that's fine.  But that doesn't mean anyone
else needs to serve a well-formed spec to browsers.

> CDATA is not permitted in polyglot markup. [*] '<' is also not
> permitted. The '&' is also not permitted, so <script>&lt;</script>
> naturally is unpermitted. Web browsers that support XHTML shows a fatal
> error if included, so it is easy to discover.

What this means is that you can't have any inline scripts or styles
that include left angle brackets or ampersands.  That's a pretty big
restriction.  You can often work around it, like by using JS or CSS
escapes, but it's not something you can handle automatically.