Re: Publication of specifications as HTML5

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 19:01:57 +0200
To: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>
Cc: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, spec-prod@w3.org, ayg@aryeh.name, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Karl Dubost, Fri, 19 Aug 2011 09:21:27 -0400:
> Le 19 août 2011 à 07:29, Richard Ishida a écrit :

>> http://www.w3.org/TR/html-polyglot/

> I know what polyglot prescribes. :) It is not what we are discussing here.
> What I was aiming at are along these:
>
> 1. Finding a ground where
> 	- a group could publish its documents in HTML5
> 	- the tools using W3C specifications pre/post publishing would not
> be disturbed.
> 2. To not worry about formalism but being practical about what we
> want to achieve.

We are not discussing what polyglots require - for that we have
Bugzilla. But the argument that polyglots fits well - for instance it
should fulfill your 1st point, no? As for your second point: If there
are requirements in Polyglot Markup that you consider formalism, only,
then please file a bug.

>> what's needed is a defined subset of HTML5 for editors to use that
>> reflects what is currently supported on major browsers.
>
> This seems to be a good goal to pursue. It is why I was thinking of
> an HTML file which could be "seen as xml"
> http://caniuse.com will help here

To ensure that XML can be seen as HTML - and HTML as XML - is the
purpose for which Polyglot Markup has been defined.

For instance, caniuse.com shows that IE below version 9 does not
support application/xhtml+xml. However, if the file is served with the
.html suffix, then IE will sniff it as HTML anyhow.

> What I have not seen on the discussion thread yet (and that I would
> like to see) is
> What are the current *tools* requirements for processing/hosting a
> document on W3C space?
> With these requirements, *we* (the community altogether) can decide
> what is usable or not.

+1
--
Leif H Silli