Re: Publication of specifications as HTML5

[resending because my client only did 'reply list' and i'm not sure
whether arhye and karl are on that list]

Here are some things to consider:

[1] there are additional rules for polyglot documents to ensure that the
document works as XML and HTML (for example, no XML declaration allowed,
therefore encoding can only be utf-8 (or utf-16 but that was excluded
from polyglot)).  So it's not just xml well-formedness. Having said
that, I don't think there are many additional rules to worry about.
That's what the polyglot spec describes: http://www.w3.org/TR/html-polyglot/

[2] there are features of HTML5 that are not yet widely supported.  I
think that what's needed is a defined subset of HTML5 for editors to use
that reflects what is currently supported on major browsers.  That
subset should imo be revised as soon as new www.orfeatures become
supported by major browsers, eg. the dir=auto value will hopefully be
supported soon, but it isn't yet.  It also assumes a decision that we
are happy that people may struggle with 'non-major' browsers that may
not yet support html5 features, and may have to view with a different
browser.  It also requires defining what consitutes a 'major' browser.

[2a] for html5 support in IE you currently need javascript help. We need
to agree that it is acceptable that people who are not running
javascript on IE will struggle.

RI

PS: I have already started producing new or updated i18n articles in html5.

On 19/08/2011 11:53, Karl Dubost wrote:

 > Le 18 août 2011 à 23:34, Ian Jacobs a écrit :
 >>> If all the tags are closed and the attributes are quoted (aka "XML
well-formed"), would it be enough for the XML pubrules tools?

 >> The original goal was not to make the pubrules checker happy, but to
have a version readily consumable by any xml consumer.

 > so the question remains
 > Will XML well formed be enough for any xml consumer. It would be a
low hanging fruit easy to achieve and that could satisfy everyone.

--
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/

Register for the W3C MultilingualWeb Workshop!
Limerick, 21-22 September 2011
http://multilingualweb.eu/register