Re: link elements

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:03:36 +0200
To: "Karl Dubost" <karl@w3.org>
Cc: "W3C XML Spec folks" <spec-prod@w3.org>

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 04:40:37 +0200, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi Chaals,
>
> Le 12 sept. 06 à 20:55, Charles McCathieNevile a écrit :
>> following a discussion with Rhys Lewis, it seems that the XML Spec has
>> no support for adding link elements in the head of a single HTML file.
>>
>> Would it be possible to have at least the rel="contents" link included?
>
> Could you give a more detailed use case or markup examples in XML Spec

Not without reading a lot more of XMLSpec than I want to do again.

> plus the output in XHTML. Just to clarify.

<link rel="contents" href="#contents" />

(this is already generated in multi-page specs, so it can't be rocket
science for the people who write the XSLT). The use case is that browsers
can offer a consistent one-key shortcut to get to the table of contents,
rather than bouncing around the document looking for links. It's why link
was in HTML all those years ago.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com          Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com