Re: xhtml to xmlspec

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:01:14 +0200
To: Max Froumentin <mf@w3.org>
Cc: spec-prod@w3.org
* Max Froumentin <mf@w3.org> [2005-06-30 08:53+0100]
> I know it probably can't be done entirely, but a stylesheet that does
> most of the work of transforming a spec in XHTML into one in xmlspec
> (i.e. the inverse of xmlspec.xsl) would be incredibly useful for people
> wanting to switch to xmlspec. Has anybody worked on one?
> I'm sure it's not that hard to at least:
> - group <h*> to <section>
> - renaming of inline links: <a> to <link>, etc.
> - generate the bibliography (just joking, although it's probably not impossible...)
> - remove the ToC
> etc.

A long time ago, I asked somebody to help me with exactly this. What
was his name? M… M… Oh yes, now I remember, Max Froumentin.

He gave me an XSLT 2.0 stylesheet, which I used to convert a document:

I have since then done similar things with an XSLT 1.0 stylesheet,

The bottom line is that, depending on what the XHTML document looks
like, you have more or less things to do. I don't think that a single
stylesheet will work for everybody, but the two examples above should
give you a good head start.

Hugo Haas - W3C