Re: "Normative Appendix" a contradiction in terms

Hi,

Le 11 févr. 2005, à 12:42, Paul Grosso a écrit :
>> What about just calling these chunks "sections" (some
>> normative and some not)?
> And in what way is an appendix clearly labeled as Normative
> confusing as to its normativity?

Agreed.

> I fail to see the problem we're trying to solve here, and
> the suggested "solution" has pain associated with it (both
> in terms of legacy and in terms of where we'd end up), so
> I'm unclear why we'd want to do this.

I don't think there's a problem and indeed it's not the name of a
section of a specification which makes its normativeness. One clear
reason for that is Internationalization, some concepts just don't
translate in another language.

Appendix can be normative or informative. You just have to say so by
saying it in each section [1] or by explaining the scheme in your
specification. [2]

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-qaframe-spec-20041122/#norm-informative-gp
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-qaframe-spec-20041122/#normative-parts