"Normative Appendix" a contradiction in terms

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 00:32:22 -0500
Cc: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>
To: spec-prod@w3.org

          1. An appendage.
          2. A collection of supplementary material, usually at the end
of a book."

supplementary... as in: if you cut it off, you haven't changed what's
specified, right?

Normative references, normative grammars, and the like do not belong in

I gave this advice to the editors in the WG I chair, regarding the
SPARQL grammar...

and they pointed out that they were just doing like the other specs
they saw; indeed,
I see...

Susan, please consider adding something about appendixes to the W3C
manual of style.