Re: Square-bracket output of Definition in specs is bogus

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:07:32 +0100
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Cc: spec-prod@w3.org

* Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>The output chosen for definitions in W3C specs is easily the worst
>example
>of spec language abuse that I have ever seen.  Definitions are supposed
>highlighted to the reader, not placed in obscurity through the addition
>of
>[Definition: ...].  Mark-up should never obscure CONTENT.

The "Definition:" clearly highlights the definition and the square
brackets clearly delimit the definition from other text in the same
paragraph. This style is widely used in W3C Technical Reports and
well-understood by the target audience; you are the first one who
complains about it as far as I can tell; I do not agree that the
style is "obscure" in a meaningful way. If there are going to be
such changes, the new style should be much more usable than the old
style. You have unfortunately not proposed a style that would.