Html diff tools summary

From: boyera stephane <boyera@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:23:12 +0100
To: <w3c-tools@w3.org>, <spec-prod@w3.org>, "'Dan Connolly'" <connolly@w3.org>, "'Ian B. Jacobs'" <ij@w3.org>

Greetings,

One editor in my group was looking for a good html diff tool, so I asked
inside W3C who was using what.
Here are the summary of all answers I got
(except that it seems that html group is using one, but didn't find any
link to it)

perhaps we should send this summary to chairs ?
Stephane

--From Bert Bos (w3c)
Use mine.
Source code is at: http://www.w3.org/2003/01/BB_htmldiff-0.3.tar.gz
(The compiler may give an error about a non-existing i18n directory, but
you can ignore that.)

If you don't mind losing NS4 (which doesn't understand DEL/INS), my
preferred invocation is as follows:

b.html

Without the options it compares case-sensitively and uses SPAN in
addition to DEL/INS.

Bert
--
--From Hugo Haas (w3c)
I have been using a mix of tidy and htmldiff. An example:

  Old version: http://www.w3.org/2002/11/chor-proposal
  New version: http://www.w3.org/2003/01/wscwg-charter.html
  Diff: http://www.w3.org/2003/01/wscwgc-diff.html
  Makefile: http://www.w3.org/2003/01/Makefile-wscwghtmldiff

Htmldiff: http://www.componentsoftware.com/Products/HTMLDiff/
--
--From Susan Lesch (w3c)
I use BBEdit's diff that is built in to the paid version [1].

In emergencies, I have downloaded two revisions from CVS, Tidy'd them,
and then compared with BBEdit diff. That happens when Amaya or another
tool reformats a whole page, sometimes for a minor edit to one line.

[1] http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/index.shtml
--

--From Luu Tran (sun)
http://wwws.sun.com/software/xml/developers/diffmk/

--From Rigo Wenning (w3c)
A good tool to use (in KDE) is kompare http://bruggie.dnsalias.org/

It is really nice as it uses colors to match the things not changed and
the things changed. I found it the best thing on diff I've seen so far.

Best,

Rigo