Re: html sections in compound documents.

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 18:37:38 GMT
To: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com
CC: spec-prod@w3.org

  And while on the subject, wouldn't it be nice if we had a recursive <div>
  element so that sections could be more easily promoted or demoted?

Hmm Not sure. I don't really mind either the "named section" style or
the "nested div" style. However I don't really like mixing both in the
same document. (docbook has both styles but I usually try to use just
one or the other in any given document). I think it would be too big a
change to throw out div2 and friends, so I'm not sure I'd want to add a
nestable div.

Meanwhile another featurelet in slices-common.xsl that I'm overriding in
the mathml customisation...

  slices-common has
  <xsl:if test="$target != $slice">
  which repeatedly produces the string value of an entire chapter, or
the entire
  spec for every internal reference. saxon produces the mathml spec in
  a third of the time on my machine  if this is changed to
  <xsl:if test="generate-id($target) != generate-id($slice)">

  In addition  add the test for "this slice" so references in chapter 3
  to other parts of the same file are of the form #foo rather than

<xsl:template name="href.target">
  <xsl:param name="target" select="."/>

  <xsl:variable name="slice"

  <xsl:if test="generate-id($slice) !=
    <xsl:apply-templates select="$slice" mode="slice-filename"/>
  <xsl:if test="generate-id($target) != generate-id($slice)">
      <xsl:when test="$target/@id">
        <xsl:value-of select="$target/@id"/>
        <xsl:value-of select="generate-id($target)"/>