Re: New release of XML Spec DTD/Stylesheets

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: 21 Aug 2002 09:45:29 -0400
To: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Cc: spec-prod@w3.org, "Eve L. Maler" <Eve.Maler@Sun.COM>, Sabine Ocker <Sabine.Ocker@east.sun.com>

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 11:31, Norman Walsh wrote:

> To support the new pubrules, and because I've been meaning to do this
> for the stylesheets for a long time, I've published a new set of DTDs
> and Stylesheets at
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2002/xmlspec/
>
> This includes a 2.2 version of the DTD (with support for 'altlocs' to
> handle the new pubrules and also with marked sections to make
> customization practical). I made the executive decision that I could
> publish 2.2 without warning or consultation. It may very well be the
> case that I have no authority to do so. In any event, this message is
> the only place that refers to that URI publically. I won't say
> anything else in any other forum until there's some buy in.

Thanks for the work Norm.

I'd like a few addition to the next version:
- would it be possible to define a namespace for the xmlspec elements?
  http://www.w3.org/2002/08/xmlspec (or something like this).
- would it possible to use xlink? ie s/href/xlink:href/
- the DOM added two attributes on the DOM extensions in xmlspec:
 <!--
  #1999-07-21: lehors: Added since and version attributes to most idl elements
  -->
 <!--    since attribute:
         Provides the version in which the element was introduced. -->
 <!ENTITY % idl-since.att
         'since                  CDATA           #IMPLIED'>

 <!--    version attribute:
         Provides the version in which the element was modified. -->
 <!ENTITY % idl-version.att
         'version                CDATA           #IMPLIED'>

Have a look at [1] to see where we use them. I quickly adapted your
version with what we're using today. If you add the two attributes, I'll
be able to use v2.2 without modifying at all.

Some examples:
  <method name="insertBefore" id="ID-952280727" version='DOM Level 3'>
  <method name="getUserData" id='Node3-getUserData' since="DOM Level 3">
- it would be nice to have an XML Schema (and others as well) version of
the DTD.

Philippe

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/08/xmlspec-v22-dom.dtd