RE: who manages xmlspec?

From: Ishida, Richard <Richard.Ishida@gbr.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:24:11 -0000
To: "'Eve L. Maler'" <eve.maler@sun.com>, spec-prod@w3.org
Cc: "'Editors'" <i18n-editor@w3.org>
Yves, Sabine, Max,

The i18n Working Group recently reverted the Character Model WD to XML.  We
made some changes to the DTD and XSL to meet our needs: including creating
XHTML output in UTF-8.  Its not perfect, but I thought it would be good to
share this.

A list of changes to DTD and XSL is given below.  There are also additional
files to support editing in XMetal 2.1.

FILES
---------
You can find the following files at
http://www.w3.org/International/Group/charmod-edit/

xmlspec-CM.css (for XMetal rendering)
xmlspec-CM.ctm
xmlspec-CM.dtd
xmlspec-CM.mcr
xmlspec-CM.rlx
xmlspec-CM.xsl
xmlspec-CM_structure.css

Overview.xml
Overview.html

DOCUMENTATION
-------------------------
The enclosed documents below provide some documentation.  (One is a copy of
the XML Spec documentation I have doctored slightly and applied new styling
too (just add graphics).  I found the new layout makes it much easier to
look things up in hardcopy form.)

CHANGES
-------------
To XSL:
	19 Dec 2001: (richard.ishida@gbr.xerox.com)
	- additional.css: added css declarations to this document, rather
than using a separate file (to get around the pubrules requirement that the
W3C stylesheet is the last one called)
	- ipr-notice: changed ipr-notice link to ipr-notice-20000612 in all
(3) locations

	14 Dec 2001: (richard.ishida@gbr.xerox.com)
	- olist, ulist: because a list may be a child of req and not just p,
changed the validity.hacks transforms
	- abstract, status: corrected duplicate assignment of id
	- created anchor element for list items if an id was assigned in the
xml
	- created anchor element for notes and examples if an id was
assigned in the xml

	12 Dec 2001: (richard.ishida@gbr.xerox.com)

	- output: changed to output as xhtml
	- general: for every <a> with name=, added id= with same attr value
	- general: lowercased all element and attribute names in output
	- ednote: made appear using <span class="editor-note">
	- example: if first child is p and no head, heading 'EXAMPLE: '
appears *inline* at beginning of first p
		otherwise 'EXAMPLE:' appears in its own block
		heading 'EXAMPLE: ' wrapped with <span class="example-head">
	- note: if first child is p, heading 'NOTE: ' appears *inline* at
beginning of first p
		otherwise 'NOTE:' appears in its own block
		heading 'NOTE: ' wrapped with <span class="note-head">
		NB: CharMod commonly uses notes for informative text
	- graphic: added code to deal with height and width attributes
	- item: added name= and id= attributes to allow linking to list
items
		added <span class="req"> to highlight if part of a
requirement
	- kw: changed <b> to <span class="keyword"> to allow more
flexibility in presentation
	- olist, ulist: used $validity.hacks to close off <span class="req">
and start again if a requirement includes a list
	- del, ins: added code to deal with these new elements (expectation
that all ins and del markup will be removed prior to publication)
	- quote: surrounded with <span class="quote"> to allow for
alternative styling (CharMod italicises the text)
	- html and head elements:
		- changed document declaration for xhtml
		- added xml:lang to html tag
		- added charset declaration, set to utf-8
		- made the default stylesheet link relative
		- removed internal css (added to local css file mentioned
below)
		- linked to local css file (that currently overwrites
everything in the default for CharMod)
		- added link to javascript file and constructs to allow for
hiding/showing redlining (this will be removed prior to publication)
	- term: replaced <b> with <span class="term"> to allow for
flexibility in rendering
	- added new templates to deal with the following new elements:
		- req
		- qterm
		- qchar
		- rfc2119
		- uname
		- abbr
		- acronym
		- figure (includes its own caption handling at the moment)
		- image

To DTD:
	- %illus.class: added image and figure
	- %termdef.class: added abbr and acronym
	- %local.emph.class: added del and ins
	- %tech.class: added qterm, qchar, rfc2119, and uname
	- p: added req
	- graphic: added attributes height and width - CharMod doesn't use
the alt attribute - this is replaced by an alt element that is part of image
	- td, th: changed rowspan and colspan from NMTOKEN '1' to #IMPLIED
	- added the following new elements:
		- ins
		- del
		- req plus req-type, req-text
		- rfc2119
		- qterm
		- qchar
		- abbr
		- acronym
		- uname
		- figure plus image plus alt

Richard.

Richard Ishida
Globalisation Consultant,
International Document & User Interface Design
Xerox GKLS
tel: +44 1707 353395 (Voicemail always available)
http://www.xerox-emea.com/globaldesign/