RE: Testable assertion tagging for W3C specifications

From: Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 06:14:13 -0700
To: "Paul Cotton" <pcotton@microsoft.com>, "Lofton Henderson" <lofton@rockynet.com>, <scott_boag@us.ibm.com>
Cc: <spec-prod@w3.org>, <w3c-query-editors@w3.org>, <www-qa@w3.org>
At 10:37 PM 5/6/2002 -0400, Paul Cotton wrote:
>Another technique is to have a separate test/conformance document that
>points directly into a technical specification or quotes test from the
>normative document.  For example, see the SOAP 1.2 test/conformance
>document [1].
>
>[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/2/03/11/soap-1.2-conformance.html

I like this. This allows someone else to work on the assertions without
having to share the source of the document.

Also, I think the assertions in this document helped me understand what you
are trying to accomplish. I think this is a good thing to do - particularly
if it leads to the development of a test suite.

My instinct is to use a separate document, not to embed markup in the
source document, to allow work to be shared more equitably. Currently, only
Don and I really edit the source fo the XQuery language document.

Jonathan