Re: Testable assertion tagging for W3C specifications

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 15:42:20 -0400 (EDT)
To: Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com>
cc: <scott_boag@us.ibm.com>, <spec-prod@w3.org>, <w3c-query-editors@w3.org>, <www-qa@w3.org>
Well, in order to be able to test specification implementation it is helpful
to impose these constraints on the way the spec is written. I agree that it
adds to the already significant workload of editors who are not doing this,
but I think it is an important part of ensuring the quality of our
specifications to enable them to be tested.

Cheers

Chaals

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Jonathan Robie wrote:

  At 01:29 PM 5/6/2002 -0400, scott_boag@us.ibm.com wrote:

  >    Encourage document editors to view some of the sentences as "test
  >    assertions" and to write them in a style that conveys precisely what
  >    they declare.
  >    Explore possibilities for machine processing of testable sentences in
  >    the future.

  This sounds like it might force a particular writing style and constrain
  the sentence structures used by editors. Am I reading too much into this?

  I am concerned about anything that would increase the work load or the
  constraints on editors. We've got an enormous amount of work to do as it is.

  Jonathan